Re: [Test-Announce] 2021-02-22 @ 17:00 UTC - Fedora 34 Blocker Review Meeting

> I understand it's bad UI/UX and I agree. But what I'm asking is *what
> criterion*, i.e.

I would argue that it fits best in the shutdown category [1], specifically that the system must cleanly shutdown such that "storage volumes (e.g. simple partitions, LVs and PVs, RAID arrays) are taken offline safely". Given that a 2 minute timeout will result in many users holding the power button rather than waiting, filesystem(s) will not be cleanly unmounted. I personally have interacted with a user who was force powering off his rawhide machine due to this bug, so this isn't pure theory. Have there been other recent Fedora Workstation releases that shipped knowing that the system is unable to reboot in less than 2 minutes by default?

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Basic_Release_Criteria
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_34_Beta_Release_Criteria
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_34_Final_Release_Criteria
>
> Bugs don't become blockers only because they're nasty bugs, there's a
> process.

Could you please respond to the rest of my previous post in order to help me understand why this is not a gnome-session issue as Benjamin Berg seems to have indicated?

I will also mention that after I manually added "Slice=-.slice" under the [Service] section of /usr/lib/systemd/user/gnome-session-restart-dbus.service (which is the exact change that Benjamin committed to gnome-session[2]), I no longer experience 2 minute timeouts. Overall I think there is very strong evidence that this bug is exactly the one Benjamin Berg describes, and hence this is an issue with F34 and rawhide's gnome-session package needing to be updated to include the commit previously referenced.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Basic_Release_Criteria#Shutdown
[2] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-session/-/merge_requests/55/diffs?commit_id=9de6e40f12e8878f524f8d429d85724c156a0517