Re: Fedora 35 Change proposal: POWER 4k page size (System-Wide Change proposal)

> On 15/02/2021 19:47, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 6:39 PM Dan Horák <dan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> The open question still is whether we should try to keep 64k as default
> >> as it would allow to find the remaining bugs and offer 4k kernel variant
> >> (COPR for ppc64le should be coming back soon), similar for the
> >> installer (a new remix/spin). After BTRFS removes the page size
> >> dependency, switching the kernels shouldn't cause any issues for users.
> >
> > I think it may be instructive to look at the enabling IPv6
> > had on the entire ecosystem (and going to ipv6-first
> > networking).  Which definitely broke things (and there
> > remain, in the greater world, lots of things still broken
> > when IPv6 is enabled).  However, if we still used ipv4-first
> > networking even more would almost certainly still be
> > broken, because no one would experience or report
> > the issues with IPv6.
> >
> > If you agree that fixing the 64K bugs are important
> > (and I personally think they are), you need to go
> > 64K first to get the reports, and get the fixes.
>

> The problem is that not all ppc64le bugs are related to page size

Welcome to the world of non x86 architectures.

> I was recently looking at ffmpeg issues[1] that happen on any page size,
> that is now fixed and it also fixes issues in Blender.
>
> Going to 4k page size, we effectively drain the swamp to the half-water
> mark.  Some bugs will go away, other bugs will still be there.

It doesn't drain the swap at all, it just changes the water from one to another.

> The volume of workstation bugs is actually quite intimidating.  Even for
> somebody with a lot of experience, it takes away a certain amount of
> energy.  Some users and maybe even some developers will spend so much
> time on hacks and workarounds that they have no time or energy left to
> report the bugs, bisect them or even fix them.

At least you don't have to deal with big endian bugs in there too, and
a bunch of us that have been working on non x86 architectures for
years have no doubt solved a number of the problems already. aarch64
had a mix  of 4K (Fedora) and 64K (RHEL) and we've dealt with 100s of
these already, of course that doesn't rule out POWER specific ones.

> But I do agree that we can't avoid 64k indefinitely.  If there is a way
> to support both page sizes and run unit tests for all packages on both
> that would be really useful.  In addition to unit tests, it would be
> useful to have a manual check on Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, etc
> before each major release on 64k.

No easily, apparently having something you can set via a kernel
command line for this stuff isn't straight forward, I started asking
for that functionality for pages sizes back in the early days of
aarch64 and I'm still waiting.

> 64k issues for ppc64le will also get more attention when other
> architectures go 64k, then we won't have all the pressure on ppc64le
> users.  IPv6 was for every architecture so the effort was spread a lot
> more widely.

aarch64 also has 64K page sizes so it's already a shared problem, and
I've dealt with and fixed more bug around that I care to remember but
you're not the only one that's had to deal with it.