Re: Fedora 35 Change proposal: POWER 4k page size (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 6:39 PM Dan Horák <dan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The open question still is whether we should try to keep 64k as default
> as it would allow to find the remaining bugs and offer 4k kernel variant
> (COPR for ppc64le should be coming back soon), similar for the
> installer (a new remix/spin). After BTRFS removes the page size
> dependency, switching the kernels shouldn't cause any issues for users.

I think it may be instructive to look at the enabling IPv6
had on the entire ecosystem (and going to ipv6-first
networking).  Which definitely broke things (and there
remain, in the greater world, lots of things still broken
when IPv6 is enabled).  However, if we still used ipv4-first
networking even more would almost certainly still be
broken, because no one would experience or report
the issues with IPv6.

If you agree that fixing the 64K bugs are important
(and I personally think they are), you need to go
64K first to get the reports, and get the fixes.