Re: Fedora 35 Change: rpmautospec - removing release and changelog fields from spec files (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 3:01 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16. 02. 21 14:48, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> >      if version_at(commit) != last_version:
> >          return 0
>
> Should this be "return 1"?

No, 0 is correct. If the version does not match, this is the last
commit *before* a version update.
The "max(parents) + 1" then sets the Release to 1 for the commit that
actually changed the version :)

> To prevent accidental divergence between the git history and the build system.
> That's why this information is only used in the koji plugin, locally (ie: via
> the rpmautospec CLI) it only relies on the git tags.

So ... you want to *prevent* divergence by *introducing* divergence? I
do not follow ...

> Using the number of commits can give weird results with merge commits and even
> though the upgrade path is not really an issue anymore, we preferred to try
> preserving it. So rpmautospec should minimize the risk of broken upgrade path.

That is possible. However, I assume it's possible to determine whether
a given commit is a merge commit? Then it would be easy to skip over
those in the computation.

And while I agree that upgrade path should be clean, fixing those
corner cases by making the whole process brittle and possibly
inconsistent does not sound like a good idea to me. And with system
upgrade tools defaulting to `distro-sync` mode now, this corner cases
are even less of a problem.

Fabio