Re: Fedora 35 Change proposal: POWER 4k page size (System-Wide Change proposal)

> A few people mention it in the Raptor forums[2]

If there are actually many other page size issues with amdgpu (or other drivers), then from what I can see the raptor/power9 community is unfortunately not reporting these problems upstream which makes it difficult for the developers to be aware of them.

> Right now I don't have a spare machine for reboots, testing kernel and
> hardware issue like that.  I try to keep the machine as stable as
> possible.  If I can generate revenue from doing POWER9-specific work
> then I would be happy to have more of these machines.
>
> Also, I don't have one of the Radeon Navi GPUs anyway, I defer buying
> one until I can get the new Radeon RX6800 XT.  They were launched in
> November but there is still no stock here.  If anybody knows how to get
> them for development then I can get a head start on these issues.

The bug report I linked mentioned a RX Vega 56, which was released in ~2017. I don't think a Navi card is required to reproduce the problem.

> Its not just about me though: I'm sure that if other people buy these
> workstations too, that will spread the workload a lot more.  Many hands
> make light work.  As long as the number of developers on the platform is
> limited, we have to focus our efforts.
>
> For example, once we go back to 4k page size, we can divide and conquer:
> any bugs that remain are not page size bugs and we can concentrate on
> fixing those first.  After making good progress there, we could try 64k
> again.

It's a bit concerning that the power9 community isn't already actively reporting bugs upstream and working to resolve these issues. All niche desktop platforms need at least a few people to really step up and put in work to test, report, and help fix bugs. Right now it appears that the desire to move to 4k pages is in large part motivated by a lack of people willing and able to file bug reports and assist developers (e.g. bisect).  I hope I am wrong, but I have not seen anyone bisect an issue in the power9-related amdgpu bug reports. This doesn't bode well for getting desktop-related power9 issues fixed, whether or not it is due to a non-4k page size.

My fear is that this is to some degree going against the ethos of Fedora by making a change solely to route around problems upstream rather than engaging with upstream to get the actual issues resolved.