Re: Fedora 35 Change proposal: POWER 4k page size (System-Wide Change proposal)

On 14/02/2021 05:41, Tom Seewald wrote:
>  > The GPUs also have firmware blobs
> Could you provide some links to mailing list posts or bug reports where AMD developers confirm that their GPU firmware requires 4k pages? I think having some definitive sources will make this situation more clear.
>
> So far the only amdgpu bug report I could find that relates to 64k pages[1] is a regression, as the reporter states the driver works with the 5.4 kernel. If someone with a power9 machine is willing to bisect the issue I think that would greatly increase the odds of this bug being resolved.
>
> [1] https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1446

A few people mention it in the Raptor forums[2]

Right now I don't have a spare machine for reboots, testing kernel and
hardware issue like that.  I try to keep the machine as stable as
possible.  If I can generate revenue from doing POWER9-specific work
then I would be happy to have more of these machines.

Also, I don't have one of the Radeon Navi GPUs anyway, I defer buying
one until I can get the new Radeon RX6800 XT.  They were launched in
November but there is still no stock here.  If anybody knows how to get
them for development then I can get a head start on these issues.

Its not just about me though: I'm sure that if other people buy these
workstations too, that will spread the workload a lot more.  Many hands
make light work.  As long as the number of developers on the platform is
limited, we have to focus our efforts.

For example, once we go back to 4k page size, we can divide and conquer:
any bugs that remain are not page size bugs and we can concentrate on
fixing those first.  After making good progress there, we could try 64k
again.

Regards,

Daniel

2. https://forums.raptorcs.com/index.php/topic,100.msg1318.html#msg1318