Re: ELN SIG Launch

Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> Perhaps you missed the announcement that "small"
> production environments (up to 16? servers) are now
> "free" under the RH developer licensees.  That may
> not be a lot of servers for the hyperscallers, but
> for smaller deployments it may cover you.  Should
> I have chosen to use EL8 rather than Fedora for
> my (smallish) environments 16 servers would
> more than cover my needs.

This is a usage restriction (and indirectly also a field-of-use restriction,
not to mention that the term "developer licensee" implies a field-of-use
restriction by itself), which inherently contradicts the Free Software
licenses of the packages in the distribution. I am not interested in running
a commercial distribution imposing such non-Free restrictions, even if Red
Hat is now jumping on the "free (as in beer) developer licenses to get
developers hooked and hopefully more software developed for the platform"
bandwagon pioneered by proprietary software companies.

Why would I bother signing up for such a license if I will be able (very
likely before the CentOS 8 EOL) to just download Rocky Linux the same way I
can download Fedora or Debian?

        Kevin Kofler