Re: Update on Modular Obsoletes and EOL change

On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 04:09:19PM +0100, Martin Curlej wrote:
> It would be great if we could start a discussion about how modular
> obsoletes will be used in Fedora? Where will be they stored? Who will be
> able to change them? Just a couple of questions to get the discussion
> started. Any involvement of the Fedora community is highly appreciated.

On EOL, not specifically Obsoletes, but since they're deeply related:

In general, the idea is that in Fedora context, modules are most useful when
they're longer-lived than the normal 13-month release cycle (rather than the
RHEL case of being shorter than 10 years). I suggest therefore:

1. Module EOL should always align with a Fedora Linux release EOL (i.e.
   May/November every year). That way, people aren't ending up with modules
   randomly ending at unpredictable times.

2. If an upstream is ending at an unaligned time, Module owners should plan
   to separately deal with any critical security issues for another couple
   of months, or EOL the module at the _sooner_ date.

3. If an upstream is something that changes faster than the Fedora Linux
   release cycle (shorter than 13 months), the module stream should be
   rolling rather than pinned to those short-lived versions.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>