Re: Heads-up: dropping Berkeley DB rpmdb write-support in rawhide

On 03. 02. 21 13:51, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 03. 02. 21 13:06, Neal Gompa wrote:
1) branching is the*early*  part of the cycle, not the late part and

I disagree.

Once we branch Fedora 34 from rawhide, we should stabilize it and not introduce braking changes to it. The change completion deadline is at branching. Hence branching of 34 is late part of the 34 development. Everything that happens after branching should be quality assurance, not development. (Yes, people will rush in changes until the beta freeze or even after, but they SHOULD be thinking about stabilization.)

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Updates_Policy/#before-updates-testing-activation

Note that Fedora 34 branching is also the *earliest* part of Fedora 35 development, so in fact your statement is technically half correct.

To clarify my previous email, it is a general statement about branching. It does not say we should (not) disable rpmdb write-support from Fedora 34 shortly before branching.

--
Miro Hrončok