Re: Fedora 34 Change: uEFI for ARMv7 (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 11:46 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 6:43 AM Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Will we also get a shim binary for this? The shim spec file has noted
> > > that it's possible to produce one for ARMv7, we just haven't had a
> > > need for it yet, since we don't use UEFI for ARM. Now that this is
> > > changing, will we get one?
> >
> > No, currently grub2 provides the expected binary there on ARMv7 and
> > ATM shim provides no extra value as there's not current intention to
> > provide it. The pieces we have in place have worked quite well for IoT
> > on ARMv7.
> >
> > There has been some mutterings from the arm ecosystem as there's a
> > number of companies there interested in secure boot on ARMv7 but I'm
> > yet  to see any actual commitments in that space. With the ability for
> > U-Boot now to support it and the EBBR spec evolving to add it that may
> > change later in the year and if that does happen it would be easy
> > enough to adjust to add it in.
>
> Would it be too much extra work to see if we can get that added as
> part of the next rev of the shim package? We already know one is
> coming in about a month, so it'd be nice to just get that in place
> regardless if possible.

My understanding is yes it's more work, and I explicitly don't want to
put extra pressure on that team for something that adds no current
value or useful functionality to ARMv7. I feel getting a new version
of shim out for the other architectures in a timely manner is of more
value to the project as a whole.