Fedora 34 Change: uEFI for ARMv7 (Self-Contained Change proposal)

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ARMv7UEFI

== Summary ==

Move ARMv7 to use UEFI as default for all armhfp generated images

== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:pbrobinson| Peter Robinson]]
* Email: pbrobinson at fedoraproject dot org

== Detailed Description ==

In Fedora 30 we tried to move ARMv7 to UEFI and as part of that change
we got all the infrastructure changes in place as described in that
change. It turned out there were issues with upstream kernel,
bootloaders and a number of other pieces out of our control. Those
pieces of the puzzle are now fixed and we've been building the core
pieces since before Fedora 33 so we know it's now fixed and working
having engaged with upstream since.

== Benefit to Fedora ==

This allows ARMv7 to move to grub2 providing the same experience to
ARMv7 users as all other architectures across the distribution. It
simplifies a number of software stacks across the distribution due to
being able to use a single install/support/upgrade path as well as
providing a single set of docs.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Changes to kickstarts.
* Other developers: None, all the required changes landed as part of
the prior feature, this is just flipping the switch.
* Release engineering: [https://pagure.io/releng/issue/9946 #9946] (a
check of an impact with Release Engineering is needed)
* Policies and guidelines: N/A
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)

== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
Upgrades from prior versions of Fedora will continue to work as they
do currently. Devices booting with extlinux will continue to upgrade
and work as planned. For recent (F-25 and later) clean installs there
will be a documented migration process for those that wish to migrate
to grub2 boot process. For older installs (those without a VFAT
partition for firmware) will need to do a clean install. Devices with
non Fedora built u-boot will need to ensure they have a recent enough
u-boot to support the required uEFI functionality.

== How To Test ==
The process for testing will be the same as aarch64. This standardises
the arm architectures ultimately making things more straight forward
and eventually allowing code clean up.

== User Experience ==
The user experience will be the same as uEFI on aarch64 and x86_64
with the grub2 menu and features. This will provide a consistent
experience across all Fedora architectures and resolves a number of
issues seen with the basic extlinux menu system on ARMv7.

== Dependencies ==
There are no dependencies. The changes required are artefact output. I
will work with release engineering on this.

== Contingency Plan ==
* Contingency mechanism: Revert back to current extlinux boot process.
The IoT Edition has been supporting this method since Fedora 33 and
it's reported to work fine. We produced prototype
Workstation/Server/Minimal images in Fedora 33 with few issues.
* Contingency deadline: Beta Freeze
* Blocks release? Yes

== Documentation ==
Yes. There will need to be a review of the documentation pertaining to
ARMv7, in a lot of cases this will be deleting the old process so the
universal distribution defaults are the only docs.

== Release Notes ==
To be written once process is complete

--
Ben Cotton