Re: Policy proposal (draft): Don't push knowingly broken or work-in-progress work to dist git

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 06:58:28AM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> I've linked my
> https://github.com/projectatomic/rpmdistro-gitoverlay/blob/master/doc/reworking-fedora-releng.md
> plan a few times.

It's an interesting proposal.  I do have a couple of questions
or points of view though:

How large would this git repo be?  Presumably massive because it has
all spec files and all changes.  (Not to mention all the times when
people accidentally check in Sources and remove them again, which
would at least bloat .git/ unless someone did some surgery).

I'd really like something to be driven off the upstream sources rather
than tarballs, especially where upstream is using a public git repo.

You sort of mention this as your second to last point ("Upstream
source first, and embrace spec file generators") but actually what I'd
like to do is to be able to cherry pick upstream commits directly into
a local branch and have that as the basis for the RPM.  The spec file
generator would somehow work off to the side.

For OCaml, Jerry James is looking at spec file generators.

And yes, let's please please please kill %changelog.  SUSE did this
years and years ago.

Rich.