Re: Policy proposal (draft): Don't push knowingly broken or work-in-progress work to dist git

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021, at 6:27 AM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 03:12:50AM +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> > IMHO, the real issue is the one Robbie Harwood pointed out: It should NOT be
> > a common occurrence for a provenpackager to have to rebuild a package, and
> > in particular, provenpackagers should NOT do scripted mass changes. A
> > provenpackager should always check what the latest package in Rawhide
> > actually is before blindly rebuilding dist-git HEAD. (As a provenpackager, I
> > always do that before I do anything to a package owned by someone else.)
>
> We have to do scripted mass rebuilds to manage the OCaml package set.
> Anything else is completely unscalable and will in effect mean we will
> have to drop anything but bare-minimum OCaml support in Fedora.

This debate will keep happening because we can't effect any any actual change in the buildsystem because involves a lot of hard choices and deleting code.

I've linked my https://github.com/projectatomic/rpmdistro-gitoverlay/blob/master/doc/reworking-fedora-releng.md plan a few times.

But to make it very concrete for *this* email, I very briefly looked at the NixOS repo for OCaml, here's an example PR that updates multiple packages as an atomic git commit:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/106386
And there's CI that runs on those PRs.
You can browse them all here:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/tree/master/pkgs/development/ocaml-modules

Now, NixOS is not the same thing because it's a "build from source per machine" model by default with some support for binary caching, whereas over here we're more about the binaries.  But condensing the git repositories would also create a very obvious parallel between pull requests that touch multiple packages and koji "side tags", etc.

It's really the older Linux distributions (like Fedora) that predate modern Git and CI that still have a model where a human manually pushes something to git and manually asks a tool to build it.  We can change that =)  But we aren't going to get there by debating small rules around direct pushes to git master.