Re: Proposal: gate stable release critical path updates on openQA test results

On Fri, 2021-01-08 at 23:26 +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:

> > > Well, if (and as long as) the gating only blocks the autopush and does not
> > > prevent a manual push (as yet another requirement), I withdraw my objection.
> >
> > I think we should get to the point where it blocks manual pushes (without
> > the failure being waved). If the test is broken, fix the test.
>
> That is easier said than done. What if the failure is unrelated to my update?

I'm essentially committing us to making sure it won't be. As I
explained in the initial email, I already do this quite
conscientiously.

The only way this can be the case is if an update which causes a test
failure gets pushed stable. Either the update is tested but the failure
is disregarded and the update pushed (which this proposal will make
*less* likely, but not impossible, since failures can be waived) or the
problem is introduced by an update that isn't tested (this is unusual
but does sometimes happen). Neither of these things happens terribly
often. When one does happen, I treat it as a high priority to get it
fixed or worked around and re-run all non-related tests that were
affected by it.

And, of course, we *can* waive failures if all else fails.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA