Re: Thoughts about packaging a standalone python-PyQt5-sip?

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021, Rex Dieter wrote:

I think fundamentally the version of PyQt5-sip probably needs to match
(or be very close to) the version of sip that PyQt5 itself was
compiled with.

I think for calibre (which is currently failing with):

/usr/bin/python3 -c import os;
os.chdir('/builddir/build/BUILD/calibre-5.8.1/build/pyqt/pictureflow');
from sipbuild.tools.build import main; main(); --verbose --no-make
--qmake /usr/bin/qmake-qt5 Querying qmake about your Qt installation...
/usr/bin/qmake-qt5 -query These bindings will be built: pictureflow.
Generating the pictureflow bindings... -c: Unable to find file
"QtWidgets/QtWidgetsmod.sip"

...we need python-qt5 to be using sip5 also. I looked into it a bit, it
completely changes from using a configure.py to using sip-build and
PyQt-builder.

Or can we just add a subpackage there that uses sip5 and keep the sip4
ones for sip4 users? something like python3-qt5-sip5-devel ?

Or should we just convert everything to sip5 now?

I'd really like to get calibre building again... :)

It looks like technically you can still use configure.py to build PyQt5
with sip5, but it does seem more forward looking to switch to sip-build
/ sip-install.

BTW, can you please build PyQt-builder for F33?  Thanks.

Sure. Also, co-maintainers welcome. :)

Thanks!  BTW, I starting looking into moving python-qt5 to sip5.  It
doesn't look like it would be *that* difficult.  I thought about doing a
PR, but it might be better if the regular pyqt5 maintainer (if
interested/available) did it.

With my "regular maintainer" hat on, I'll say unfortunately I've not had
time to look into this and probably won't for the foreseeable immediate
future.

I'll also chime in with "co-maintainers" welcome if there are folks
interested in able in moving this forward.  Just take care to minimize
breakage.

OK.

And of course, now sip6 has been released. So perhaps we should just skip sip5 altogether and just go directly to 6.

Scott