Re: Thoughts about packaging a standalone python-PyQt5-sip?

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

I think fundamentally the version of PyQt5-sip probably needs to match (or
be very close to) the version of sip that PyQt5 itself was compiled with.

I think for calibre (which is currently failing with):

/usr/bin/python3 -c import os; os.chdir('/builddir/build/BUILD/calibre-5.8.1/build/pyqt/pictureflow'); from sipbuild.tools.build import main; main(); --verbose --no-make --qmake /usr/bin/qmake-qt5
Querying qmake about your Qt installation...
/usr/bin/qmake-qt5 -query
These bindings will be built: pictureflow.
Generating the pictureflow bindings...
-c: Unable to find file "QtWidgets/QtWidgetsmod.sip"

...we need python-qt5 to be using sip5 also. I looked into it a bit, it
completely changes from using a configure.py to using sip-build and
PyQt-builder.

Or can we just add a subpackage there that uses sip5 and keep the sip4
ones for sip4 users? something like python3-qt5-sip5-devel ?

Or should we just convert everything to sip5 now?

I'd really like to get calibre building again... :)

It looks like technically you can still use configure.py to build PyQt5 with
sip5, but it does seem more forward looking to switch to sip-build /
sip-install.

BTW, can you please build PyQt-builder for F33?  Thanks.

Sure. Also, co-maintainers welcome. :)

Thanks! BTW, I starting looking into moving python-qt5 to sip5. It doesn't look like it would be *that* difficult. I thought about doing a PR, but it might be better if the regular pyqt5 maintainer (if interested/available) did it.

Scott