Re: Reducing noise on devel list

On Sat, Dec 05, 2020 at 12:25:05PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2020-12-05 at 10:23 -0800, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 03:43:04PM -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I filed https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2512 asking FESCo to move all
> > > automated emails to a separate list where people who want to follow
> > > can, while I was part of the proliferation of compose reports coming
> > > here, there is now a great deal of them, and they no longer seem to
> > > trigger any conversation. I think that devel list would benefit from
> > > having all automated reports sent to a reports-list and letting people
> > > bring reports over when there is something to discuss. I was asked to
> > > bring the request to the list for people to weigh in.
> >
> > I'm a bit torn by this. The rawhide report has actually triggered
> > conversation (less than 3 weeks ago) and I find it usefull to point out
> > things.
> >
> > Perhaps we could keep the traditional rawhide report, but send the
> > qa/compose test reports to another list?
>
> I quite like the Rawhide compose and compose check reports going
> together, because it's sort of logical: here's what changed, and here's
> what it broke/fixed.

I think it doesn't make sense to create a separate list.
It'll inconvenience people who have filters set up already,
and those who like to receive those mails.
A new list will require additional advertising to allow people to find it.

OTOH, based on the replies in this thread, it's clear that there are
multiple overlapping subsets of reports that people would like to
read, which means that people will need to set up filters anyway.

> What about keeping those two on devel@ but I could fiddle with check-
> compose again and have it send the IoT and Cloud reports to iot and
> cloud lists (if they want them) or not send them (if they don't)?

+1. People who care about those variants will most likely be subscribed
to those lists already.

Zbyszek