Re: Fedora 34 Change: Unify the GRUB configuration files location across all supported architectures (System-Wide Change proposal)

Hello Adam,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 9:22 PM Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> > == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> >
> > The changes will only be for new installations, existing systems will
> > not be impacted and will continue using the grub.cfg and grubenv files
> > that are located in the ESP.
>
> To me several of the benefits seem to not really be true, so long as
> this is the plan for upgrades.
>
> * We wouldn't have a "consistent configuration" across everybody,
> really, because anyone who upgraded from pre-F34 would still have the
> old config; every bootloader debugging session ever would start by
> figuring out which case this was.
>
> * We can't really use the same "documentation and commands" for the
> same reason. We either have to document both possibilities forever, or
> accept that our docs will be incorrect for anyone who upgraded from
> pre-F34.
>
> * We can't really make the tools "more robust" in the way cited because
> they'll still have to handle both cases as long as both cases exist. If
> anything this makes them more fragile: the more divergent paths a tool
> has to support, the more likely it is something will break.
> --

These are all fair points. My worry is that trying to switch to the
new configuration on upgrades could lead to issues for people that
have custom GRUB configs. That was the case when we did the switch to
using BLS snippets and I don't really want to repeat that experience
for users.

That's why I went with the conservative approach of only do this for
new installs, to prevent breaking users configuration (or even worse,
their booting). Maybe a middle ground could be to provide a tool for
users to do the switch and make it opt-in?

Another option is to stick with the status quo but then we will never
be able to attempt improving this.

Best regards,
Javier