Re: F34 Change proposal: Wayland by Default for KDE Plasma Desktop (System-Wide Change)

On 12/29/20 5:20 PM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:

I don't think this GNOME bug is in any way related to the topic of whether KDE should default to Wayland....

So I am confused---I thought it is a problem in Wayland, perhaps in its X11 emulation but still Wayland.  Yes, the app is misbehaving, but Wayland should be resistant to this 'fuzzing'.

Re, this being the GNOME bug, I think any app with this behavior will similarly crash wayland even if it is not GTK app, and regardless whether it's running under KDE or Gnome---but I was not able to understand the GTK app enough to write a minimal replication.

Perhaps you are implying that when Wayland is the only choice, X11 applications will be replaced by wayland apps and the X11 emulation will be removed form Wayland, so this will no longer be an issue?

I thought I checked that the 'true' X11 server does not crash in this scenario,  but I realize now that I am not sure.

BTW, I did report this in Gnome as well https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/9