Re: Fedora 34 Change: Route all Audio to PipeWire (System-Wide Change)

On 20/11/2020 16:26, Ben Cotton wrote:

== Summary ==
This change proposal is to route all audio from PulseAudio and JACK to
the PipeWire Audio
daemon by default.

So I tried this in F33 with the packages from updates-testing
and I'm afraid to say it didn't end well...

Audio functionality should be like it was before with the Pulseaudio
daemon. Some things to verify:

  - patcl info should now list: Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.x)

As pactl was removed by the switch I couldn't test this.

  - gnome-control-center: check the audio tab, check the volume sliders
and do the audio channel test. Change the card profile, plug/unplug
headphones and observe correct
                          switch.

This worked initially, but see later.

  - pavucontrol: check volumes in the input devices tabs and check the
microphone volumes

Didn't test this.

  - firefox: check out a website with audio/video such as youtube and
verify that audio works as
             usual. Check out a website with a video chat test page
(bluejeans.com/111).

Didn't test this.

  - rhythmbox: check if playback works as expected

This worked initially, but see later.

  - bluetooth devices, connect as usual and verify working behaviour
with PipeWire. Check volume changes etc.

I was unable to get this to work.

The first problem is that bluetooth is not actually enabled
by default so you have to edit /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf and
tell it to add "-e bluez5" when starting the session manager.

After that my headphones who show up as a device in pw-cli
but not as a target I could send sound to.

The final straw though was that fast user switching seems to
completely break it. I assume that the daemon doesn't release
the audio device when you switch to a different desktop to
something because once I started a second session things got
horribly confused and I wound up with one desktop where audio
worked and one where it didn't work at all.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/