Re: Fedora 34 Change: Enable spec file preprocessing (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 00:51:49 +0100
clime <clime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, the users here are still packagers here no? I thought the "User"
> in the title means "end user" who shouldn't be affected by it. Maybe
> Ben can clarify this.

I am making a distinction between Fedora packagers who use the Fedora
infrastructure to build RPMs for the Fedora repositories, and second
and third party packagers who use their own infrastructure.  External
packagers count as ‘users’ for the purposes of change proposals,
especially infrastructure changes such as this.  Many change proposals
have no effect for external packagers, or have the same effect as for
the general user base.  This proposal, however, seems potentially
disruptive for external packagers, and I want to see those issues
specifically addressed in the change proposal.

I will advocate that external packagers are of strategic importance to
the Fedora Project.  The software they provide encourages the adoption
of Fedora.  They form a pool a potential Fedora packagers.  They are
the technical experts that support the local users.  They are
fundamental to the Fedora Mission:

    Fedora creates an innovative platform for hardware, clouds, and
    containers that enables software developers and community members
    to build tailored solutions for their users.

Supporting external packagers drives the Four Foundations: Freedom,
Friends, Features, and First.

Jim