Re: Fedora 34 Change: Enable spec file preprocessing (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 03:04:01 +0100
clime <clime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I wouldn't call it "deprecating rpmbuild". That's certainly not at all
> my intention.
>
> As a side-point, I think the cases where bare rpmbuild is used to
> build an rpm/srpm from a dist-git repo are rather limited because you
> probably need to first download sources from lookaside cache so you
> probably need fedpkg/rpkg/centpkg/rfpkg or a similar dedicated tool.
> These tools then offer the `srpm` and `local` commands so It would
> make sense to rather use these commands or mock for subsequent
> srpm/rpm building.

No.  One can also download the sources from upstream using spectool or
similar, even wget or curl.  My local work flow is typically get or
create spec file and patches, spectool -g, rpmbuild -bs, mock.

I could not find simple instructions for the *pkg tools the last time
I looked.

Jim