Re: Fedora 34 Change: Enable spec file preprocessing (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 at 21:34, James Cassell <fedoraproject@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2020, at 2:05 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Enable_Spec_File_Preprocessing
> >

> > == Summary ==
> > This change should enable an opt-in spec file preprocessor in Fedora
> > infrastructure for the benefit of packagers. The preprocessor allows
> > some very neat tricks that were impossible before, for example
> > generate changelog and release automatically from git metadata or pack
> > the entire dist-git repository into an rpm-source tarball (effectively
> > allowing unpacked repos to live in DistGit).
> >

> I'm skeptical. If it does pass, I'd insist on having the non-processed spec and any required supporting files in the SRPM.

It would be possible to specify the spec template as an rpm Source so
it would get included into the resulting srpm as well.

> Does this relate in any way to the magic done by rdopkg dist-git <-> source-git translation? Their approach seems very good to me, but might not exactly overlap here.

There is some overlap in the goal (allow people to work with upstream
sources when convenient) but the method to achieve it is slightly
different. The approach suggested here is more declarative while the
rdopkg's approach is more imperative.

Basically, with rdopkg, you do the upstream<->downstream conversion on
the client and then just push the results to the server. With the
preprocessing engine, you define the conversion in a spec file and
then let the infrastructure (i.e. builders) do the work just before
srpm is built.

We can go into more details. There probably is some inaccuracy in what
I have just said (but tried my best to explain the difference as I see
it).