Re: What is the most time consuming task for you as packager?

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 11:29:27PM +0100, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> I am looking for challenges for upcoming year - what I and my team should enhance. I have some ideas, but I want to hear
> yours.
>
> What you - as Fedora packager - find most time consuming on packaging?
> Where you will welcome more simplicity or automation?

Looking up the latest guidelines and recommendations for packaging.
It seems to be spread between the Wiki and "docs" site and it isn't
always clear which one is correct.  Google searches may still find old
or "draft" guidelines.  Not all are ported over to docs.fp.org, so you
have to use the Wiki site for some content.  Wiki documents link to
themselves, even when in some cases the Wiki version is out of date,
replaced by docs.fp.org version.  There isn't always a warning or
reminder that links to the correct version on docs.fp.org.  Or there
is a redirect to the new site, but it doesn't link to the right
content.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines

"The packaging guidelines have been moved out of the wiki. The current
version of this document is located at
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/ . Please
update your bookmarks."

But say I search Google for "fedora perl packaging guidelines" I find this:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Perl

Then there is a link on there to:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Packaging_guidelines

Or search Google for "fedora packaging systemctl" finds this:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Systemd

which has:

🔗 Unit files in spec file scriptlets

Information on proper handling of unit files in spec file scriptlets can be found here: Packaging:Scriptlets#Systemd

but that links to:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Scriptlets#Systemd

which redirects to:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Scriptlets/#Systemd

which doesn't have a #Systemd anchor.  So you are dumped at the top of
that page rather than at the section about Systemd which has an anchor
of #_systemd instead.

It would be nice if this could all be cleaned up, because right now it
makes navigating the documentation a nightmare.