Re: What is the most time consuming task for you as packager?

On Wed, 2020-12-16 at 11:18 -0800, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 11:06:45AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >
> > See I thought that too at first, and was going to cite it, but then I
> > thought, wait. The problem isn't that the update *actually broke the
> > ABI*, right? The problem is that it *unnecessarily bumped the soname*.
> > I think abidiff's job is to catch the *opposite* problem, isn't it?
> > Where the ABI changes but the soname isn't bumped.
> >
> > I would need to check, but I suspect possibly in this case abidiff just
> > wouldn't do anything at all, because what it would seem to make sense
> > to do is run it only on pairs of shared libraries with identical
> > sonames from the two package builds. When the soname is bumped, it
> > wouldn't make sense to run abidiff, because you'd *expect* the ABI to
> > change in that case.
>
> Ah, indeed. That could well be the case.
>
> I wonder if we shouldn't setup a 'soname bump test', make it gating for
> everything and require waiving it. It would be a extra step and more
> hassle, but it would prevent unintended soname bumps from landing, it
> would make it a deliberate choice.

What I would prefer to do is get a reliable reverse dep check (we may
have one already, I haven't looked) and gate updates on it. This would
require soname bumps for Rawhide to be sent out as multi-package
updates containing rebuilds of all dependent packages.

This would be a big change, but I think we're at the point where we
should really think about making it happen. We basically have all the
necessary pieces to do it at this point, and the experience. We just
need to piece through all the work and communication required. We might
need to re-examine some permissions issues as part of it, too
(including Bodhi's rather strict permission rules for editing updates).

As a preview, after the RH shutdown - in the New Year - I'm considering
seriously pushing some proposals for heavier gating across Fedora. I'm
at least wanting to look at gating Rawhide composes (initially on a
smaller set of required tests than the one we've been prototyping for a
while), gating critpath updates on at least some of the openQA tests,
and getting a subset of openQA update tests running on Rawhide critpath
updates and considering if we can start doing some Rawhide update
gating as per above.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA