Re: What is the most time consuming task for you as packager?

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 11:06:45AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> See I thought that too at first, and was going to cite it, but then I
> thought, wait. The problem isn't that the update *actually broke the
> ABI*, right? The problem is that it *unnecessarily bumped the soname*.
> I think abidiff's job is to catch the *opposite* problem, isn't it?
> Where the ABI changes but the soname isn't bumped.
>
> I would need to check, but I suspect possibly in this case abidiff just
> wouldn't do anything at all, because what it would seem to make sense
> to do is run it only on pairs of shared libraries with identical
> sonames from the two package builds. When the soname is bumped, it
> wouldn't make sense to run abidiff, because you'd *expect* the ABI to
> change in that case.

Ah, indeed. That could well be the case.

I wonder if we shouldn't setup a 'soname bump test', make it gating for
everything and require waiving it. It would be a extra step and more
hassle, but it would prevent unintended soname bumps from landing, it
would make it a deliberate choice.

kevin