Re: Fedora 34 Change proposal: Boost 1.75 upgrade (System-Wide Change)

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 03:25:29PM +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> On 12/10/20 7:21 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> >On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 08:01:31AM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> >>
> >>I wonder: is it necessary to request a tag, or would just self-managed
> >>side-tag be enough?
> >
> >A releng made side-tag:
> >* has a specific name
> >* requires releng ticket to create
> >* requires releng to merge builds back in
>
> Also:
>
>  * builds are merged directly to rawhide, no CI (broken stuff can be pushed in)
>
> >A self-managed side-tag:
> >* Easy to create, has random name
> >* Needs provenpackager or commit to all builds in tag to merge

As noted by Mattia in the other part of the thread, bodhi 5.6.0
removed this constraint...

> Also:
>
>  * builds go trough bodhi, where they can be stuck on gating on
> tests that refuse to start or gating on tests that don't even exist,
> or gating on tests that reveal that one package is broken for
> (un)related reasons and block the entire update (is very tedious to
> work with with large updates)
>
> >Since trodgers isn't a provenpackager, probibly the releng one would be
> >best? But also I guess fixing and rebuilding the other packages will
> >need commit or provenpackager...
>
> Even for bumping the release a provenpackager will be needed.

... but that's still a very important point. Thomas (trodgers) is not
a proven packager. For a magnitude of this change, another change
owner who is a pp is simply required. It's a given that with ~170
packages to rebuild, either a pp will be involved or things will go
very very slowly. Just opening PRs and asking nicely is not enough.

Zbyszek