Re: Proposal: drop "Test installation media" from live media

On 12/12/20 12:20 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 12:15:07AM +0200, Nikolay Nikolov wrote:
there's even less reason to skip it. Which really begs the question,
why do we even assume the media test is only useful for DVD and not
for USB flash?
I.... gave those reasons in my initial message? Have you experienced a
specific case where bad USB media caused a corrupt install?

No, but I have the habit to always run the media check, before attempting install, so it's unlikely that I've encountered an error like that, since I don't attempt to install from media that fails the test. I only skip the media test in two cases:

a) installing in a VM

b) installing from a media I've already verified (e.g. when installing on several computers from the same USB flash or DVD, I only verify it the first time for USB, and for DVD, I use the "verify" option in the DVD burning software, so I skip the option even during the first install)

So, how can I experience a corrupt install, due to media failure, since I specifically run the media check to ensure this doesn't happen, before I attempt an install? Just because I haven't experienced it, since I always run the test, doesn't mean it won't happen when people skip the media test.

Nikolay