Re: Proposal: drop "Test installation media" from live media

On 12/11/20 8:55 PM, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
On 11.12.2020 19:07, Matthew Miller wrote:
I think since burning spinning optical media is no longer the normal way to
do this, we should drop this and just go straight to booting (unless of
course a key is hit to stop things and enter boot parameters).

USB flash drive can be broken too. I suggest moving it to the Troubleshooting sub-menu instead of completely removing it.

I agree. I like to run the test even from USB flash. In fact, strange as it may sound, I've found flash drives to be less reliable in that tools that people use to dump the image to a flash drive don't always do the right thing. DVD burner software always writes the image correctly to a DVD-R or DVD+R disc and usually has an option to verify the burn, which I always use. USB writers often contain bugs or don't verify the written data, so I don't trust any install that haven't booted and run the media self test, regardless of whether it's USB flash or DVD (it's mostly USB flash these days, but I still use DVD for certain systems, where I have trouble booting from USB, due to BIOS bugs). And if I skip the test, it's usually for optical media, not for USB, where I trust the USB writer tools less. And if an install fails, due to failure in the optical media, I usually get useful feedback from the drive (characteristic sound), which makes it clear that the failure is due to unreliable disc or drive, while on USB you usually get nothing, except broken data. Also, the media test is actually faster on USB flash, so there's even less reason to skip it. Which really begs the question, why do we even assume the media test is only useful for DVD and not for USB flash?

Nikolay