Re: Flatpak and __pycache__

On 11/28/20 10:06 PM, Ville-Pekka Vainio wrote:
Hi,

I'm slowly working on reviving the Finnish spell-checking stack. When
working on the libvoikko package, I noticed the Python module now has
this in the file list:

%if ! 0%{?flatpak}
%{python3_sitelib}/__pycache__/*
%endif

Git blame takes me to this commit:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/libvoikko/c/e1b9941462b82f208b814fc2f6e7f369bcda11a0?branch=master

Apparently Flatpak could not handle __pycache__ stuff about six months ago.

According to the packaging guidelines I should be using something like

%pycached %{python3_sitelib}/%{name}.py

This macro is defined in /usr/lib/rpm/macros.d/macros.python3 and it
seems like it does not take the Flatpak issue into account.
Should I just leave those lines as they are? Should the %pycached
macro be improved?

You should be able to use the %pycached macro and if that breaks flatpaks, we should amend that macro to support that instead of adding `%if ! 0%{?flatpak}` to individual spec files. The idea behind this macro is to be able to do changes in one place.

However, it would help to know the reason why flatpaks don't have bytecode caches. This is the first time I've seen this mentioned. It will require other code to be adapted as well, for example %pyproject_save_files.

--
Miro Hrončok