Re: video meeting to discuss Matrix/Element and IRC

Adam Williamson wrote:
> The problem is that bridging to existing IRC channels severely dilutes
> one of the main appeals of Matrix - being more welcoming to new users
> familiar with modern chat system norms.

Maybe the way to make everyone happy would be to bridge the other way round,
i.e., an IRC bridge to native Matrix?

It is possible to implement IRC bridges to more modern chat protocols in a
way that also makes replaying of offline messages mostly work, see e.g.
matterircd ( https://github.com/42wim/matterircd ) which does it for
Mattermost and (with some limitations) for the proprietary Slack. The open
question is whether there is a good enough implementation available for
Matrix.

For Matrix, matrix-ircd ( https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-ircd ) might
be a solution, but I see several issues in https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-ircd/issues that sound like showstoppers to me (e.g.,
incomplete/broken support for private messages). So it will likely need
improving or even rewriting.

> We could still make it a bit easier for people to join some of our chats
> initially, but a lot of IRC gumph is still *there* affecting you when you
> just use Matrix-bridged-> to-IRC. Like rooms requiring you to be authed,
> so you need to register with nickserv (plus you *also* have to learn how
> to talk to nickserv over Matrix.

This issue is pretty much of Fedora's own making though. It was a Fedora
decision to make most of its chans +r, as a temporary spamfighting measure
that has become permanent. Fixing this issue is just a matter of dropping
the +r mode.

> Of course, it also limits the extent to which the more modern features of
> the system can be used.

True.

        Kevin Kofler