Re: Fedora 34 Change: Route all Audio to PipeWire (System-Wide Change)

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 02:18:45PM -0000, Wim Taymans wrote:
> So, the current sentiment is:

Well, of a few folks. :)

> * provide an easy way to test in f33, either copr or with regular packages.
>    - rawhide is a not a good place to get good testing anyway

It's likely more limited than f33 for sure, but it's still vaulable.
I run rawhide on my main laptop and I know a number of QA folks do as
well when there is no branched. After f34 branches off rawhide, I know a
number of people who switch to it to test.

> * encourage people to test. Provide instructions on how to do this and how to
>    leave feedback.
> * Carry this over to f34, probably with just the packages/easier switch.
> * propose permanent switch for f35
>   - it gets at least full cycle of testing (f34 + part of f33)
> * re-evaluate situation for f35 beta freeze to make a default switch.
>
> Although a bit slower than expected, I guess more testing is good. It sounds
> like an acceptable plan to me.
> I'm not sure how it works, if spinoffs can/want to make an earlier switch?

I don't think we need to go this slow, unless we run into problems...

If we run into problems in f34, we can just revert and try again for
f35. Of course that does assume that it's made easy to switch the
default back.

So, for me personally, I think having a way to test in f33 would be
great and provide more feedback, but I think we should move ahead for
f34 unless there's blockers, in which case we revert back and try for
f35.

kevin