Re: Fedora 34 Change: Route all Audio to PipeWire (System-Wide Change)

On 11/25/20 8:18 AM, Wim Taymans wrote:
So, the current sentiment is:

* provide an easy way to test in f33, either copr or with regular packages.
    - rawhide is a not a good place to get good testing anyway
* encourage people to test. Provide instructions on how to do this and how to
    leave feedback.
* Carry this over to f34, probably with just the packages/easier switch.
* propose permanent switch for f35
   - it gets at least full cycle of testing (f34 + part of f33)
* re-evaluate situation for f35 beta freeze to make a default switch.

Although a bit slower than expected, I guess more testing is good. It sounds
like an acceptable plan to me.
I'm not sure how it works, if spinoffs can/want to make an earlier switch?

Wim

My intention in stating my wishes this could be tested more widely was not to discourage this as a change for F34. I just hoped that since the change request states PipeWire is intended to work as a drop-in replacement for PulseAudio, that we could find a way to drop it in for at least Fedora 33 (copr, whatever), and hopefully maximize the test coverage. I figured more, easier, testing would make everybody more comfortable with inclusion in F34.

Even if it can't be an easy drop-in, I would at least like to see the documentation updated for how to hack it in, since apparently the symlink method is no longer the intended method.

No matter what, thank you so much for working so hard to improve the state of A/V in Linux!