Re: Fedora 34 Change: GNU Toolchain update (gcc 11, glibc 2.33) (System-Wide Change)

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 12:59:20PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Fabio Valentini:
>
> > Are there plans to fix the glibc faccessat2 issues with older
> > systemd-nspawn and docker?
>
> I'm trying to gather the status on this; I've been out of touch for a
> couple of days.
>
> I do not feel comfortable to ship a Fedora-only patch for this.  My hope
> is that we can work out something with all the projects involved.

Even if we got a fix into docker/systemd/runc, etc to not use EPERM,
IMHO we're going to need the workaround present in glibc regardless
for quite some time.

There are many public cloud based services that use containers. For
example majority of public CI services (GitLab, Cirrus, Travis) use
container based infra. While we can encourage them to upgrade, it is
doubtful we can rely on them getting the fix into their versions of
docker anytime soon. We can't leave Fedora rawhide/34 broken
when used in such systems.

Of course this isn't really a Fedora problem - any distro which upgrades
to new glibc will suffer this same bad behaviour. Ubuntu/Debian/RHEL-9
will all hit it and likely want a workaround added in glibc.

Regards,
Daniel