Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2020-11-11)

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 06:15:27PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 12:07:29AM +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
I still believe that this concept is inherently incompatible with the idea
of a cooperative community distribution, and that bringing it up again and
again with minimally changed wording is not a constructive thing to do.

I can see why RHEL has a business case for having such "second-class
citizen" packages, but this is not how Fedora works or should work.

Well, except, it clearly *does* work that way. We have many
lightly-maintained packages in practice. I think it's better to label them
as such and find positive ways to encourage the collaboration I think we all
agree is best, rather than the current state where we basically just pretend
that everything is maintained with high attention.

Let's stop using the word 'repo' for this idea.  'Label' is better but
I'm not sure that explains things enough.

The objective I had was to identify things considered "lightly
maintained" to expand collaboration.  We have new package maintainers
looking for packages to help with or we have multiple packages
depending on the same lightly-maintained packages which presents an
opportunity for maintainers to help each other out.  The objective is
to increase discoverability beyond the FTBFS reporting.

Example:

* A program is added by a new package maintainer that requires a
  library we do not have in Fedora.  This package maintainer also adds
  a package for that library and is assigned as the maintainer.
  However, the program is the only thing using this library and the
  package maintainer focuses on maintaining the program and not
  necessarily the library package.  We can cite policy, but the
  reality is that this does happen.

Maintaining a package as a BuildRequires is not always the same as
maintaining the package for broad availability.

There is ongoing work we expect package maintainers to do and if we
were able to categorize or otherwise easily identify these packages as
open to gaining more co-maintainers, I think it would help the project
as a whole.

I'm not suggesting we make a separate repo.  A labeling or
categorization capability that fits in to our existing tools I think
would help a lot.

Thanks,

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>