Re: Fedora 34 Change proposal: Remove make from BuildRoot (System-Wide Change)

On 11/4/20 3:46 PM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 12:43:13PM -0800, Tom Stellard wrote:
No, in that case gcc needs to Require: gas, because it is a run-time
dependency of that package.

CMake will still work if make is not installed.  Packages that use
cmake + Ninja should require those packages, and packages that use
cmake + make should require those packages too.

I don't choose either. I just run cmake and it chooses what to
use as it's default build tool. If I told it to use a specific
build tool then I would see your point, but for the default one
it seems reasonable that it should require it as it has made
the decision to use it.

Ok, I think this is a fair point especially after the f33 change were we are
now using cmake --build and cmake --install instead of invoking make
directly.

The only issue is if cmake changes make to be a weak dependency can we still
rely on this?  Do brew builds automatically install weak dependencies?

If the change was automated and you did not have to do anything would you
still be opposed to having your spec files updated with BuildRequires: make

Well, gcc really should have either weak or strong dependency on make too
given that -flto is now used everywhere.

Thanks for clarifying. So it does sound like gcc will need at dependency on make. If you do decide to use a weak dependency for this, then I think I will need to update the proposal to BuildRequire: make when gcc is used, so that we don't cause a performance regression in the builds.

-Tom

	Jakub