Re: git -> cvs (was: Re: Orphaned packages looking for new maintainers (see note about xinetd))

Hi,

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 09, 2020 at 12:09:00PM +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:
>> rjones: xinetd, numad
>
> Your "packager dashboard"[1] which I found for the first time today is
> very useful!
>
> Turns out the problem for my package is this weird ol' dependency chain:
>
>   coccinelle -> git -> cvs -> xinetd
>
> Well the first part of that is understandable, because Cocci uses git
> to apply patches (ie. autosetup -S git).
>
> cvs -> xinetd is sort of understandable too.
>
> git -> cvs however(!)  It turns out that git has a cvs import
> subpackage.  But I wonder if git actually needs cvs around at build
> time to create this?  I commented out the BR: cvs, cvsps lines in the
> spec file and it built a cvs import subpackage just fine for me.

The cvs and cvsps BR's are for the test suite, since we
prefer to use the comprehensive test suite that git
includes.  So dropping those BR's is not a useful option.

Either cvs will drop it's dependency on xinetd and this
problem will be moot or it won't and cvs will be removed
from Fedora.  In the latter case, having git ship the
git-cvs subpackage would be silly.

If cvs gets dropped, we'll likely drop the git-cvs
subpackage entirely (as was done for EL8 -- we have a
%bcond_with/%bcond_without cvs in place already).

I expect that the xinetd dep in cvs will be removed, but if
it turns out no one cares about cvs and that doesn't happen,
removing the cvs dep from git will be trivial enough.

--
Todd