Re: Fedora 34 Change proposal: Remove make from BuildRoot (System-Wide Change)

On Thu, Nov 05, 2020 at 08:57:32AM -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 at 08:52, <ycollette.nospam@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The make package use 539k of space. And for gcc + C++ it's more than 30 Mo.
> > Does it really worth the effort on changing all the dependent packages ?
> >

> Personally I am getting tired of this death of the buildroot by a million
> cuts. Could we just 'engineer' the build root to have what we want in it
> versus these continual sculptor like cuts to a block of marble to try and
> get the inner statue out?

Only if the tools we use never change. 10 years ago make was widely used.
Nowadays with meson, I go weeks without a single make invocation.
Python/rust/etc. don't normally require make either.

The nice thing about this proposal is that it tries to do the right thing
and preemptively fix all packages. If everything goes well, the change
will be mostly invisible. Nice and incremental, that's the way to do things
in a distro without making people unhappy.

> Because in around 10-20 more Fedora releases someone is going to say
> 'this is a pile of rubble' and start on a new block.

This change is something that actually helps avoid that: evolve with
the times, instead of trying to cling to an outdated tool, until in 5–10
years we think that so much cruft has accumulated that it's better to
start over.

Zbyszek