Re: GitLab AMA Topic Discussion: Permissions & Access

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 3:15 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(snip)

> I think we're looking at having a pkgdb3 web service if we move
> forward with GitLab, simply because there's no way to actually
> *implement* everything we need in GitLab itself.

So ... to me, this does not sound like a good trade-off.

- pagure + pagure-dist-git: well-integrated with other fedora
workflows and tailored to our requirements; possible to develop and
add new features ourselves
- gitlab: little to no integration with other fedora services
possible, proxy / "glue" service (still has to be planned, developed,
and deployed!) required for implementing our workflows and
requirements, probably (temporary?) loss of features compared to
pagure+dist-git, and realistically no influence on GitLab's
development and future direction

Or am I missing something?

Honestly, I'm very worried that just after finally getting back ~all
the features that were "lost" when shutting down pkgdb2 and migrating
to pagure+dist-git, we'll have a major setback *again* when moving to
GitLab, with no clear plan whether we *can* actually get those
features back at all, and no idea how much work implementing those
workflows and requirements on top of GitLab APIs would be.

Fabio