Re: [Fedora] Deprecating SCP

On 11/2/20 3:57 PM, Walter Cazzola wrote:
Hi,
I don't know if and how the internet protocol scp: is related to the scp
command. But I suppose it is.

Hi,
SCP is not an internet protocol -- it is simple protocol that is used inside of encrypted SSH session, similarly to SFTP protocol. The name comes from RCP which actually was unencrypted internet protocol and which is hopefully gone.

I'm using scp: a lot to edit remote files with vim and I'm pretty sure that
many remote admins are doing the same.

So I'm wondering how this change will affect my use case scenario and if you
have considered it when moving to sftp.

That is a good question!

When I try to use scp://host/file I am getting errors that vim is trying to use `rcp` command (yuck!). But using the same with sftp://host/file works like a charm.

I believe vim is using just scp to fetch the file so if the connection to the server will work also with sftp, it should continue to work (but I recommend using sftp protocol anyway).

The simplest way to try is to try with sftp:// or try the previously mentioned package, but my best bet is that it will keep on working as before (even though I never used this inside of vim up until today).

Regards,
Jakub

Thank you
Walter