Re: EOL and Obsoletes in Modularity

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 01:02:56PM +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> This all seem to revolve around the (mysterious) engineering team. Who
> "owns" the modular EOL information in Fedora, if not the packagers? IIRC
> There is no modularity supervision team in Fedora. The Fedora modularity
> issue tracker is dead since January/February, the meetings have been
> cancelled.

Technically, modulemd files are maintained by packagers. Any other places that
are delivered via YUM repositories are maintained by release engineering.
There is an exception for module default profiles now which is maintained by
a single person. And I can tell you that waiting weeks for accepting a change
there is not an exception.

> IIRC the current policy is: no modular EOLs mid-release (although I've
> failed to locate it at the Polices page of the Modularity documentation).

In my opininon there is no such policy.

Currently EOL is defined per stream in PDC. The initial value is provided by
packagers with "fedpkg request-branch --sl" command. Then the value can be
edited by relengs based on a ticket.

I can tell you a real story: When Fedora 33 was Rawhide, I asked relengs to
remove perl:5.28 from F33, because perl:5.28 was scheduled to EOL on 2020-12
and I did not want to release F33 with an unsupported stream. A releng
solved it by shortening the EOL record in PDC to then current day
<https://pdc.fedoraproject.org/rest_api/v1/component-branch-slas/?branch_type=module&global_component=perl&branch=5.28>.
That indeed removed the stream from F33. But effectively set a wrong EOL.

If you can have the same stream in multiple releases, the EOL will be always
in a middle of some release. (Unless you remove the stream from Rawhide
4 releases ahead which makes the stream availability phony as I descibed in my

> While I get Petr's point about the usefulness of mid-release EOLs, I am a
> bit worried about the UX if we allowed that.
>
> Let's say Anna enables the postgresql:9.5 stream on her database server with
> Fedora 33 and once the stream goes EOL (presumably around the upstream EOL
> date in February 2021), postgresql suddenly updates to a newer version?
> Wouldn't Anna be frustrated by this behavior? IMHO our users are familiar
> with this happening on Fedora release boundary only.
>
> OTOH If the EOL date is informational only (Anna keeps postgresql:9.5 but
> sees a warning during dnf upgrades) and the obsoletes only actually happen
> on a specific user action (and on release boundary), great.

That's how it is suspposed to work. Read "Proposed dnf behavior" in
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Module_Obsoletes_and_EOL>.

-- Petr