Re: [ELN] gcc is going to be updated to gcc11 in the ELN buildroot ahead of Rawhide

Hi, Daniel,

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 3:01 PM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 02:27:13PM +0200, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
> > Hi, all,
> >
> > this is the informational message, no action required.
> >
> > Upon agreement between gcc maintainers and ELN SIG we would like to
> > switch ELN buildroot to use GCC11 ahead of Fedora Rawhide.
> >
> > Though ELN is defined as the buildroot where Fedora Rawhide code is
> > rebuilt into EL-like environment, in the ELN proposal we also
> > mentioned that ELN can be used to test certain buildroot-related
> > features on the side so it doesn't block Fedora Rawhide development.
> >
> > We think that GCC11 is one such feature, where we can benefit from
> > testing it first on a small subset of the Fedora content in a separate
> > environment.
>
> I'm not very enthusiastic about this change.
>
> Fedora maintainers can largely ignore ELN right now, because if stuff
> works in rawhide, it will generally work in ELN, and someone else is
> taking care of ELN builds.
>

> New GCC releases almost always trigger new compile warnings or bugs
> in code. So by pushing GCC 11 into ELN, it feels like we're making
> it much more likely that ELN builds will fail, and now Fedora
> maintainers have to debug ELN specific problems that won't reproduce
> in rawhide branches :-(

Expectations for Fedora maintainers does not change.
ELN is a development playground. Think about sidetag, with slightly
better automation around it.

We provide ELN as the opportunity, option to play with early releases
of the GCC11 on the side. We are not requiring Fedora maintainers to
participate, we are inviting people who may be interested in this
work.

> Now rawhide will be the latest stream, except for when it is not
> the latest stream :-(

Fedora Rawhide is the latest stream of Fedora.

This doesn't contradict to the fact that certain "heavy" changes can
be tested in the sidetag or copr repositories before landing in
Rawhide. This is the usual practice for many subprojects, from desktop
to Python.
We are not moving the usual gcc11-related work from Rawhide into ELN,
we are adding the preliminary step to it.

> Regards,
> Daniel
> --
> |: https://berrange.com      -o-    https://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange :|