Re: glibc troubles in rawhide?

On Tue, 2020-10-20 at 18:47 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> Can
> we use our gating system to kick back builds that are obviously broken
> that even the package manager stops working?

Theoretically, yes, this is possible. We could add this and any other
functional tests we liked to Fedora CI or openQA and gate on the
results.

Practically, it would at least require packagers to be conscientious
about using side tags when building packages that need to be updated
together, which currently they are not. It's still common practice to,
say, build libfoo.so.n+1 first directly into rawhide, then rebuild
libfoo's deps afterwards, without using a side tag. As long as people
do that we will have trouble doing Rawhide gating on functional
testing, because any test that uses a dep of libfoo will likely fail on
the build of libfoo (because there won't be a rebuilt version of the
dep to test with).

To the point, this happened just recently with dnf and libdnf.
An soname bump of libdnf was built directly into rawhide first:

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1621613

then dnf was built afterwards:
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1621786

any gating 'functional test of the package manager' would have blocked
the libdnf build because the older dnf would not have worked with the
new libdnf.

Of course, I guess if we start doing that, it'll teach people to use
side tags in a hurry. So maybe we should? :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey