Re: glibc troubles in rawhide?

On 10/20/20 4:47 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 6:44 PM Jeff Law <law@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> That looks like the same problem I wrote about this morning:
>>>
>>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/Q5EL4U5DXCNAA3HSTRPR2XJGJWAGBZ2Z/
>>>
>>> If I'm reading the change correctly, everything referencing those
>>> symbols just needs a rebuild ... but that might be a significant chunk
>>> of the distribution.
>> Upstream glibc is almost certainly putting them back ;-)  I think ftimes
>> already went back in and the others are under discussion right now.
>>
> This is a serious violation of glibc's stated promise of infinite
> backwards compatibility. How in the world did this slip through? Can
> we use our gating system to kick back builds that are obviously broken
> that even the package manager stops working?
>
> Also, I'm surprised that reinstating symbols needs any discussion at
> all. The removals obviously have to be reverted, per their own
> infinite backwards compatibility promise.

They promise backwards compat for existing binaries.  They don't promise
backwards compat at the source level.  The distinction is often important.

The timeb related failures certainly fit in that category -- existing
binaries would continue to work, but nothing could be built that
referenced the timeb header file or the deprecated functions within it.
Of course, once that change went live they realized that significant
source code still referenced that stuff so they reverted.

I can't comment on the  other symbols other than knowing upstream was
looking to reinstate them this morning -- I didn't dig into those as
they didn't impact the issue I was working on yesterday.

jeff