Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 8:49 PM Jóhann B. Guðmundsson
<johannbg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 19.10.2020 17:25, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 8:16 pm, Arnoldas Skinderis
> > <arnoldas.linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I'am also have Thikpads and MSI running BIOS and some of those
> >> machines  still are the beast in some terms. Dropping BIOS would
> >> pretty much force me to use something else.
> >> I don't want to lose Fedora.
> >
> > This proposal was soundly rejected, so don't worry about it.
>

> Never was an official proposal to begin with so I cant see how it was
> "soundly rejected" but yes the dialog highlighted that there will be
> quite few years before the distribution can get to the point where an
> official proposal can be made. Maybe 2024 would be a target goal for
> such effort. Regardless consensus has to be reached on how long/old
> hardware should be supported so people expectations can be
> raised/lowered accordingly. Arguably something that the Council should
> look at.

While I don't actually believe old hardware should be dropped I don't
believe there was a consensus reached.

Fedora is a distribution that aims to be first so I believe there
should be work done so that spins or editions that wish to be able to
drop support for BIOS installs while other parts of the distribution
retaining compatibility for legacy platforms be enable to do so and I
don't feel that that discussion has been had, a lot of the discussion
was focused on single people "this is my use case" not the wider use
cases of the distribution or what SIGs are interested in.