Re: mock, febootstrap, building chroots a.k.a. debootstrap

Dne 06. 10. 20 v 23:50 James Cassell napsal(a):
> yum install --releasever=/ --installroot=/mnt/sysimage bash mypackage

This is naive approach. It does not setup: resolver, timezone, dbus uuid, unpriv user, btrfs-control, special devices, etc.
Yes, for most quick'n'dirty use cases you will not need it and the naive approach will work. But it will hit you when
you will not expect it.
And it will not work when you are on RHEL7 and want to install Fedora 31 because of different payload of rpm.
Mock solve all those things.

>> I create the chroots as Btrfs subvolumes, this gives the opportunity to
>> create snapshots too.
>>
>> After testing this a bit, I'd like to document it some more for other
>> people on the platform too.  I noticed some people losing time trying to
>> compile things when they could potentially use upcoming versions of the
>> packages.  Any feedback would be very welcome.

Mock supports LVM snapshots:
  https://github.com/rpm-software-management/mock/wiki/Plugin-LvmRoot

> The "fastest to get started" way to solve getting these chroots is to pull a container image and extract that.

https://github.com/rpm-software-management/mock/wiki/Feature-container-for-bootstrap
But you still want to setup timezones, make sure the packages are updated there, copy some files there... Mock does all
of that.

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCA
Red Hat, Associate Manager ABRT/Copr, #brno, #fedora-buildsys