mock, febootstrap, building chroots a.k.a. debootstrap

Hi all,

I came across febootstrap[1] but it doesn't look like it has been
updated[2] for some time.  What is the currently recommended method for
creating a chroot, is it mock or are there alternatives?

Here is the problem I'm trying to solve: on the Talos II (ppc64) host,
most things run well enough using packages from Fedora 32 or Debian
stable.  Sometimes it is necessary to run something from rawhide or
Debian sid in a chroot.

As an example, I was able to run the latest version of Thunderbird in a
chroot.  I'm sure other people will have things like this too.

In the ideal case, I would like to mix-and-match across distributions
too, for example:

- create a Debian sid chroot with debootstrap and use it from Fedora 32

- create a Fedora 33 or rawhide chroot (with mock?) and use it from Debian

I create the chroots as Btrfs subvolumes, this gives the opportunity to
create snapshots too.

After testing this a bit, I'd like to document it some more for other
people on the platform too.  I noticed some people losing time trying to
compile things when they could potentially use upcoming versions of the
packages.  Any feedback would be very welcome.

Regards,

Daniel

1.
https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2009/03/19/febootstrap-fedora-equivalent-of-debootstrap/