Re: Self Introduction: Boian Bonev

Hi Rahul,

On Fri, 2020-10-02 at 17:30 -0400, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Hi

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 4:57 PM Boian Bonev  wrote:

I didn't start that project, just improved it, and somehow changing the
name does not seem right to me :)

Here I mean the project name, which is iotop-c. I see no problem in renaming the binary.

This isn't a minor change and the current name is a bit awkward and because of a shared name, you have to deal with Conflicts or alternatives neither of help with ease of use ex: I want to install them both to compare them side by side.  I would agree with Matthew that a name change is warranted here.  At the minimum, rename the binary.  Here is a parallel for that

Thanks for your advise, I will wait to see if something else is proposed and will most probably go with renaming the binary. What would be the best choice (iotop-c, iotop_c or iotopc)?

As long as this is a tool only for root (or a capped user), alternatives still seem better to me - it wouldn't at all concern unprivileged users, while allowing to run e.g. program-c or program-go and still have program symlinked to the preferred one, but of course I may miss something and be wrong here.

From what I see, this have completely replaced the other project. I do not have that goal.
My selfish desire is some day to be able to dnf install and use it, without compiling from source or copying a binary.

With best regards,
b.