Re: splitting out systemd-networkd, systemd-standalone-{sysusers,tmpfiles} subpackages in F33+

On Thu, Oct 01, 2020 at 12:08:19PM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> Clearly, there is a case for making systemd-resolved "default with
> an option to opt-out". It makes no sense that these deployments
> must install and ensure to then disable and keep disabled, the
> systemd-resolved daemon.

I fully agree that an opt-out should be possible. I don't think anyone
suggested differently. On normal upgrades following the transition to F33,
nothing special needs to be done. The only exception is the first upgrade
to F33, where we reset systemd-resolved.service enablement and adjust
resolv.conf symlink. Those changes are conditionalized on
systemd-resolved.service being enabled in presets. To opt out, create
a local preset which disables systemd-resolved.

I now added a section about this to the Change page:
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Changes%2Fsystemd-resolved&type=revision&diff=589756&oldid=588639

(There's also the question of changes to /etc/nsswitch.conf. Those are
currently done unconditionally based on the premise that nss-resolve
has no effect if systemd-resolved.service is not running. We can adjust
that too if needed.)

Zbyszek