Re: This is bad, was Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: systemd-resolved

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 03:14:10PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> I am required by these regulations and many other regulations in
> multiple jurisdictions to make sure my users comply. If you have gone
> out of your way to break secure operation on Fedora, we will have to
> ban the use of Fedora by our users. I do not want to do that.

Then don't ban them, and do your job instead?

The fact of the matter is that using out-of-the-box Fedora
configurations *today* can leak "private" DNS queries, and if VPNs are
in use, it is a virtual certainty.

To make Fedora "Compliant" using your definition, one already has to
adjust the system configuration.  This new approach, at worst, requires
a slightly different configuration change to achieve the same results.

> As I said, this is not a technical discussion. You need to defer this
> to compliance people, who I predict will simply tell you “comply”.

My $dayjob is headquartered in Europe and is in a _highly_ regulated,
risk-adverse industry, with compliance officers coming out of the
woodwork.  Suffice it to say that what it means to "Comply" is highly
context-sensitive.

But you are correct, this is not a problem that can be solved via
technical means -- Many legitimate use cases have diametrically-opposed
needs, and there is no way for Fedora to know out-of-the-box which use
case should apply as the general default.  Moreover, at the granularity
of specific DNS lookups, the general default can easily be wrong.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)